Happy National Spinach Day! Tips for enjoying this dark leafy green that packs a nutritional punch.
- Spinach contains more than a dozen flavonoids, which fight inflammation and cancer.
- In addition to flavonoids and carotenoids, spinach provides vitamin C, vitamin E, beta-carotene, manganese, zinc and selenium, making it an excellent antioxidant.
- Researchers are beginning to discover links between the health of our nervous system and the unique phytonutrients in the chenopod plant family, which includes spinach, beets and chard.
- Cooking spinach releases lutein — a carotenoid that helps prevent macular degeneration — making the nutrient more available to the body.
- The high level of vitamin K in spinach helps maintain strong bones.
The Whole-Life Health and Fitness Magazine. We believe that being healthy is a revolutionary act. www.experiencelife.com.